The James E. Alatis Prize
TIRF’s mission statement says that the Foundation will “influence the formation and implementation of appropriate language education policies, recognizing the importance of indigenous languages and cultures worldwide, and of English as an international language.” Given the particular interest Jim Alatis had in language policy and planning, and remembering Jim’s many contributions to the Foundation since its inception, the TIRF Board of Trustees has established the TIRF James E. Alatis Prize for Research on Language Policy and Planning in Educational Contexts.
The prize will be awarded annually to an outstanding article or chapter written about language planning and/or policy in educational contexts. Along with the recognition, a prize of US $500 will be awarded, beginning in 2016.
- The articles/chapters submitted for consideration may focus on policy and planning issues related to various languages.
- The articles/chapters submitted must be published in English.
- The first prize will be awarded in 2016, and papers to be considered for that first competition will have been published in 2014 or 2015. For the next several years of the competition, it is anticipated that articles/chapters published over the previous two years will be eligible for nomination.
- The public presentation of the first Alatis Prize will take place at the 2016 TESOL Convention.
To read the call for nominations, please click here.
First Alatis Prize Recipient Announced
During TIRF’s talk at the 2016 TESOL Convention in Baltimore, Maryland, we announced our first ever Alatis Prize recipient. Click here for further details.
Supporting the Alatis Prize
We are seeking financial support to sponsor the Alatis Prize for many generations to come. If your life has been impacted by Jim’s career, we would like to encourage you to donate to the Alatis Prize fund in honor of Jim.
To help sponsor the Alatis Prize, please visit our Donor page: http://www.tirfonline.org/donate/.
- June 12, 2015 (or earlier): Call for nominations is released
- November 16, 2015: Nomination deadline
- November 16, 2015 – January 25, 2016: Adjudication
- November 23rd – Files distributed to reviewers
- January 25th – Due date for reviewers
- Early February (February 8, 2016): Winner notified
No comments so far - be the first to add one!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.