The mission of the association is to establish NELTA as a forum for enhancing the quality of English language teaching and learning through professional networking, supporting and collaboration. The main aim of NELTA is to improve the teaching and learning of the English language. In order to achieve this aim, NELTA has set the following objectives:
- To raise the standard of ELT in Nepal by conducting training programs, workshops, seminars, conferences, etc.;
- To collaborate with the government in various strands such as ELT curricula, materials production, training, etc.;
- To provide a forum for extending relationship among individuals, institutions and associations having similar goals;
- To foster the exchange of idea, resources, information and experience among people associated with ELT;
- To publish ELT materials, journal and periodicals; and
- To establish a network among the professional association with interests and goal.
With these objectives in mind, NELTA has been working continuously for the betterment of ELT in Nepal. Apart from a Central Office established in the Kathmandu Valley, it has by now established a network of 15 branches, old and young, spread over various geographical regions of the kingdom outside the valley. NELTA’s strength consists in its members (more than 300 life and 2,970 annual). The beauty of NELTA is that its members include teachers from pre-primary to tertiary levels of education, ELT personnel working in the Ministry of Education and Sports, teacher trainers/educators, professionals associated with ELT and faculties from different Universities.