PRTESOL (Puerto Rico Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a nonprofit organization affiliated to TESOL international. Its purpose is to stimulate professional development, disseminate information about research, books and other materials related to the teaching of English as a Second Language (ESL). PRTESOL organizes activities to keep up-to-date with current trends in the teaching of ESL, to share knowledge and experiences and to meet with other professionals in the field.
This organization promotes the profession and leadership on the island of Puerto Rico. Its goal is to support ESL professionals and focus on improving the teaching of ESL in Puerto Rico. PRTESOL is a not-for-profit professional organization that is dedicated to:
- Promoting scholarship and professional development;
- Providing opportunities for study and research;
- Disseminating information and research on the teaching of English to speakers of other languages
- Working cooperatively towards the improvement of instruction in all programs which seek to provide students with the opportunity to become proficient English language learners;
- Coordinating information with local, stateside, and international professional organizations with similar goals; and
- Promoting the recognition of English as an additional language tool for communication, and not as a supplanting means of expression at the expense of the learners’ native language and culture.